I experimented with fabric dyes to see the results I can create with different materials, dyes and techniques to help me with my final design.
The first dye I experimented with was Berol Fabric Dye in colours light blue, navy blue, dark blue, black and green.
Materials tested were calico, white cotton and a thin nylon material.
I cut these up into long strips and placed them in a container with a small amount of water and the desired dye colour, because this type of dye wasn’t as strong as the second dye I used I found they took longer to take to the material and the process wasn’t effective without wetting the material first. I tried both processes, I ripped old pages of a magazines out and placed them on the table to protect it.
Next I placed the materials in the container half way so it could easily be pulled out and checked after an amount of time.
Here I tried putting dye straight on the fabric from the bottle when the material was dry.
Then I wet the material to see the difference would be.
As you can see this worked better because the dye would spread quickly as soon as it touched the wet fabric and created the same faded effect needed for my corset. I also tried to do a dip dyed effect.
My last technique would be putting individual dyes on wet material straight from the bottle then tipping it up it would run down and blend together.
Here were the results.
Powder Berol Dye.
I used the same brand of dye just in a powder form, the colours I had to play are red, orange, blue and purple. I used a nylon material for this to experiment to see what would happen.
Dry nylon samples. As you can see the material took to the dye straight away so this was successful, I experimented with leaving wet calico in the dye container and then pulled it out half way to see what the difference in colour would be.
Tye dye samples.
I got a plain piece of cotton with some elastic bands and gathered the material up into the middle, tied it but didn’t wet it. This worked well because the dye took straight to the material and spread quickly creating a nice spreading effect.
Some samples were not as successful and came out with no obvious ring around but others created nice light a dark parts on the material giving a nice effect.
To create the desired look for my corset I tried using a paintbrush and learnt I could control the dye more by using doing this, this is how it turned out.
here are the final results.
Overall doing these samples has helped me learn what techniques have worked best and worst for me when i’m doing my real dyeing. I found that wetting the material first helps the dye to take to the fabric better and will blend easily together with another dye, were as dry material creates a more harsh effect. I will use paintbrushes to get the desired design effect I’m looking for as this is more controlled, the problems I had when dyeing were when I wanted 2 colours on the same material trying not to get them to mix and leave the right amount of gap between them. I also had problems with the dye being messy and getting on some of my other samples and ruining them.
Health and Safety.
1. Bags under tables no clutter around dyeing area.
2.Tie hair back
3. wear protective gloves.
3. Wear latex gloves when dyeing.